Tuesday, November 18, 2014

OUGD504 Studio Brief 03 - "A brief history of...website" (extended brief) - Branding


Creating the brand

Rationale:

(insert name here) is a resource created to define and arrange a curation of 'the pretty ugly' in contemporary design, through both content and form of information. A collection of work that embraces the attitude of 'the pretty ugly' in contemporary Graphic Design and its dilution into both commercial and independent environments (viewing area).

Target audience:

Male / Female.
18 - 29.
Student / Professional

What needs to be communicated:

Contemporary graphic design.
Progression.
Objectiveness, no opinions.
Relaxing informal experience.

'The Crystal Goblet' of web, an invisible viewing platform; objective curation - ironic how a modernist principle is quoted when attempting to showcase 'the pretty ugly'

What not to be communicated:

Business like qualities
Formality
Similarities to the average website.

DO I NEED A BRAND?

NO:

/ I am intending on staying away from the formalities of branding that come with business, this is not a business and I am not trying to sell or communicate a saleable commodity.

/ I am not actually showcasing anything of my own, this is a curation, can the process of curation be branded? Or is the platform the brand?>

/ Maybe the non - branding of this platform would communicate what I am attempting to communicate well; anti - formality and unlike the average webpage. Is the anti - brand stronger than a brand could be.

/ Becoming a brand complicates my cause, I desire to only showcase work, to be used as a resource,  becoming a brand creates complication while doing little, if anything for my cause.

YES:

/ How will people find the website if there is no brand to search?

/ How can I advertise without a brand?

COMPROMISE:

/ I do need a brand to promote and become recognisable by, yes, but how little branding can be used without compromising the principles of my ideal to simply be a platform.

/ A name and a set of ideals are all I need to be found and used to promote.


NAMING:




I believe staying as minimal and elementary with the naming of the brand as possible will be beneficial as a complicated conceptual branding will detract from the curation and possibly communicate something a lot more complicated than is necessary.

A curation of contemporary graphic design.

Curation. 

Temporary.

Show.

Examples.

Selection.

Collection.

'Content curation is the process of collecting, organising and displaying information relevant to a particular topic or area of interest. Services or people that implement content curation are called curators.'

Curate works as an elementary, basic name that strongly describes the platform without distracting or obscuring a relaxing, viewing experience.

CURATE.

My branding, a name and a set of ideals:

Curate is a resource created to define and arrange a curation of 'the pretty ugly' in contemporary design, through both content and form of information. A collection of work that embraces the attitude of 'the pretty ugly' in contemporary Graphic Design and its dilution into both commercial and independent environments (viewing area).

DO I NEED A LOGO?

Yes:

/ To be used when advertising the website, although if this was a commercial operation, I would not be advertising this website at any cost as this is not a profit making business. Perhaps advertising without a logo would be as effective in communicating my rationale.

No:

/ Define the limitations of a advertising , if I simply printed the web URL on a piece of paper, would that be advertising, I don't see why it wouldn't.

/ Similar to discussion earlier, creating imagery for this 'brand' creates distraction and seems to promote this platform as a business. I'm trying be the crystal goblet. 

No Logo needed.





No comments:

Post a Comment