Friday, November 7, 2014

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 02 - Initial ideas

Briefing.

Time plan.

Create Brand Strategy.

Kickstarter and notes on Iranian Graphic Design.

TA & Commercial considerations.

What do I need to communicate, seen earlier in Study Task 03.



A word map to create connections.

A narrow selection of ideas of renaming/ creating a name for the project. This diagram explains the issue I had with the name. It did seem like a stereotypical name for such a project. I also thought the use of the word 'borders', maybe not even consciously, creates a political connection, this planting of an idea may develop within an audience, creating the political connection I need to avoid.

I decided to focus on this transition from the Arabic to Latin alphabet, I thought the focusing on an alphabet related strongly to Graphic Design, Culture and both Iran & America. This would also not isolate other countries but broaden the audience with the use of both arabic and latin alphabets. This is exactly what I stated I needed to communicate in Study Task 03. 
Arabic to Latin

"Persian (/ˈpɜrʒən/ or /ˈpɜrʃən/; فارسی fārsi [fɒːɾˈsiː] ( listen)) is the predominant modern version of Old Persian, a southwestern Iranian language within the Indo-Iranian branch of the Indo-European languages. It is primarily spoken in Iran"

"...the 32 letters of the modern Persian alphabet."

The English alphabet has 26 letters.

=

-6

Minus 6

- Six

Minus Six

I could use any 4 of the options here however the "-6" option is the most suitable for both alphabets. I am reducing the name to its most iconic format, deducing and overcoming the possible language barrier. 

This exhibition originates from Iran so coming to America it is metaphorically loosing 6 characters in the alphabet. If it was vice versa, the exhibition could be called +6.


Latin and Arabic numbers.

Unfortunately the 6 in Arabic looks like a 7 in Latin. I need to try incorporate both.

An unexpected difficulty I experienced was writing in Arabic, it will be a long while until I get accustomed to writing right to left. 


I browsed Arabic glyphs to try and find any I could take out of context and use an icon within my logo.





These translation helped me grasp this new right to left concept. I discovered the beauty of arabian glyphs especially in my context, not being able to interpret these 
symbols into words.

No comments:

Post a Comment