Saturday, October 4, 2014

OUGD504 - Studio Brief 01 - My Design Process - Development #2



'Rasmus typeface was created 2014 by Markus John after the first typeface »Tilde«. Rasmus exists as a Regular / Bold and a Italic / Bold Italic version. The typeface bases on classic serifs like »Times« or »Sabon« paired with contemporary details. One significant detail are the oblique serifs and / or edges. The bold version has a larger x-high. Therefore it becomes more equal. All styles works for running and headline texts. The name »Rasmus« is the continuation and male counterpart of »Tilde«. It symbolize a strong but at the same time detailed aesthetic.'

I have decided to use the typeface Rasmus as it is a prime example of a contemporary serif, the popularity of which has been populous. The mergence of contemporary and dated create a contextual conversation, embracing the old in a current context. This conversation is a focus in my work and hence why I thought relevance.




Examples of contemporary serifs:







I have kept the design minimal as I believe this best communicates my design process; Finding Clarity, clarity is there, just distorted (distortion is represented through the folds)

I have kept the reverse as minimal as possible too. I have used a smaller point size for headings to indicate so. The use of the typeface Rasmus is one I have wanted to use with purpose for a while. Being a contemporary typeface, it declares my interest in the contemporary field as well as being a serif typeface, the serifs will create more options for interesting outcomes when folded.

After printing on 90gsm copy paper and tedious folding.

Unexpected shadows and glares were created, this could denote the highs and lows of the design process.  

The near infinite number of folding options caused a near hour of folding.

#4

#5

#6

It was only after creating the mock up and walking through Headingley did I then realise
the similarity to the design of The Headingley Carnegie Stadium. Things got a lot stranger..


I lived opposite this building last year and often looked outside my window to attempt to find some kind of inspiration,
the shell is made up of thousands of triangles, similar to my design.
Perhaps my design decision to use triangles in such a way was a subconscious reaction that related to me looking at this building at the concept of my design process last year.
Real freaky.

#7 
#8

No comments:

Post a Comment