Saturday, January 3, 2015

OUGD504 Studio Brief 04 - Augmented Design - Evaluation

Studio Brief 04 Evaluation

Promoting the website through augmented printed matter was interesting as I had previously only grazed the opportunities in the field, I had never experimented with QR codes and augmented apps although I had experienced interactive printed design in Studio Brief 01 and a project for Amnesty International in College.

I had to consider the context of these advertisements and the commercial considerations, my website is a non-profit platform therefore advertising budgets are non-existent. In the context here of completing the brief, I spent around £5 on materials and print costs, if this was to go commercial, advertising would have to be either dropped or funded with favors or industry connections.

I had to relate my methods of interaction with the form, content and the concept of my website, I had to aim at a very specific target audience and the best locations to expose them to my material. I defined this target audience and location in Study Task 10. The relation of this digital augmentation is relatable to the rise of such technologies in contemporary Graphic Design, the rise of interactivity in design.

I decided to keep this promotional material neutral again as to best showcase work, just as the decoration of an art gallery does, one of my three responses; the poster that is made interactive the Layar app contains the ‘logo’, pictorial instructions from Layar and a border. When viewed on the app, a slideshow appears with the option to scroll horizontally. This poster is to be placed in creative institutions, exhibitions and galleries; it also has the ability to be appropriated for publications.

The second of my responses is the use of a QR code, for illustration purposes I have linked the code to my blog. This method does require a download of a QR reader but I believe one of the best methods to attract an audience into participating is creating wonder in their mind, hence simply ‘CURATED.’ Placed above the code. The sticker is to be placed in, on or around works of contemporary Graphic Design in publications, exhibitions or even outdoor examples such as graffiti and pastings.

The third of my responses is an insert that would be bound as part of any one of the publications I have identified as efficient for my target audience. The insert is to be opaque sitting over an artwork that is relevant to contemporary Graphic Design; this method ensures I am efficiently reaching my target audience as I am sharing the same with any of these publications. This worked well in my draft that I have included in my submission however regarding commercial consideration; this could be an expensive and timely process, aspects that may put a publisher off from taking the advert.


The possibilities of extending this brand are a factor I am interested in, creating a printed copy of curated works could be an interesting focus; perhaps curating a selection of work from Leeds College Of Art in a monthly publication to promote and showcase designers and artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment